Senior Software Engineer
Software Engineer, Bioscience
Description and Responsibilities
At Pattern Bioscience, we’re tackling antibiotic resistance, named by the CDC as one of the biggest public health challenges of our time. We use AI and single-cell analysis to quickly recognize the bacteria causing an infection and to predict which drugs will cure the infection, even if it is multi-drug-resistant.
But we’re not just invested in combating antibiotic resistance; we’re also invested in our people. Our team is brought together by a shared passion for our mission to cure and prevent antibiotic-resistant infections, improving one of the world's most important health decisions. We're committed to continuous learning, collaboration, and supporting one another. At Pattern, each voice matters, and we welcome diverse perspectives and healthy debate.
Pattern is looking for a passionate Senior Software Engineer to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for implementing data storage and management for our medical diagnostic instrument. You’ll work closely with a multi-disciplinary team including microbiologists, biomedical, hardware and software engineers. We are seeking a talented individual who will embrace our mission and flourish in a dynamic, rigorous, and entrepreneurial environment.
How You Will Contribute
- Design, implement, and maintain database schemas, roles, queries, and stored procedures using a modern relational database.
- Profile and optimize database queries.
- Design and implement backup and data retention systems.
- Collaborate with other software engineers to design and implement Linux services that access and modify the database.
- Collaborate with R&D to design and prototype development graphical user interfaces on Linux.
- Write software requirements and software design documentation.
- Effectively communicate technical material to developers, customers, and management.
90 Day Goals
- Become familiar with our database stack
- Profile and improve existing queries
- Implement backup / recoveryUnderstand requirements and design new schemas
- Work with R&D team to streamline data entry and unify data sources
6 Month Goals
- Own database Implement roles
- Design and implement application services that interact with the database
- Generate PDF style reports of AST tests
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Database theory, design, queries, optimization, backup, and recovery.
- High level programming: C++, Python, networking / sockets, application services, inter-process communication, concurrency, distributed applications, Linux, Bash, development user interfaces.
Skills Considered a Plus
- Data visualization, Pandas, git, TKinter, Docker, C, Java, and control algorithms.
- Peripherals, embedded devices, Opencv, Plotly, Dash, laboratory information systems, web apps.
- Project management.
- Ability to see the big picture and keep an eye on the details.
We'd Love to Hear from You if You
- Engage in positive, solution-oriented thinking
- Have an outstanding work ethic and passion for multi-disciplinary product development.
- Have a drive to innovate, find and solve problems.
- Are insightful, capable of working independently, and enjoy working in a collaborative setting.
- Are a continuous learner.
- Are comfortable with ambiguity and able to generate clarity.
- Value craftsmanship in software.
- Possess excellent data analysis and critical thinking skills with an eye for experimental detail.
Most of all, we value individuals who are excellent communicators with relentless initiative, accountability, and the ability to breakdown a problem into its fundamental components to devise rational solutions.
Education and Experience
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field
- 8+ years development experience in a professional environment or 6+ years with a Masters degree.
- Highly qualified candidates are encouraged to apply even if they possess less experience.
We're excited for what you can bring to our team. Here are a few things we provide to make sure you have a great experience. Learn more about our team by visiting our website.
* Health insurance
* Personalized PTO
* Transparent leadership
* Career development
* The opportunity to make a global impact and pioneer consequential solutions
We value diversity on our teams. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.