Software Engineer, Full Time
Description and Responsibilities
Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get term life insurance. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you th e right policy to protect your loved ones. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally 15-week process into a modern digital experience for our users.
Our investors include Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, and Robert Downey Jr. We are listed as Forbes’ Top 50 Fintechs of 2020 as well as featured on VentureBeat for raising $60m in our series C funding. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families.
About the Role
As a backend engineer, you'll work across the stack and be responsible for the entire customer journey from where we store data to our server application logic. You’ll work closely with our other engineers to build and ship key features. We are detail oriented and value clean, modular, and high-performing code. You'll help architect and build our internal standards and frameworks. We love engineering-wide consistency in code and have huge ambitions on both client and server side.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Collaborate with other engineers and designers to develop and ship featuresDesign, build, and maintain our API’sWrite efficient, modular, and reusable libraries and abstractionsDesign and build internal tooling to improve development efficiencyFind and solve performance issuesParticipate in code reviewsCommunicate best practices to the team
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience with back end architectural patterns of large, high-scale web applications
- Ability to design clean APIs and understanding of performance issues
- Experienced with software engineering best practices – design patterns, code reviews, unit and integration testing, etc.
- Ability to communicate technical specifications both verbal and written
- Solid CS fundamentals – including data structures and algorithms
- Understanding of security, common attacks and defenses
- Knowledge of build systems configurations and setup - such as Webpack
- Experience with infrastructure, distributed systems, and deploying apps into a high-scale environment is a plus!
Everyone is welcome at Ethos. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.